We have tested several services that claim to allow you to live completely on the bitcoin (and some on Ethereum) blockchains. We determined that you need 6 things to be in place for digital currency based living. To be clear there is no such thing as end-to-end digital interactions as long as some actors in the analog world like governments and businesses do not accept digital currencies. However in 2016 there are many providers that cover the last mile of digital to analog currency conversions. That means that as things stand today you can be almost digital following these steps:
- Get your income in Bitcoin via BitWage.
- Get investment income converted using an exchange like Coinbase, Draken
- Pay for your recurring bills like utilities using a blockchain based bill payment service like Cashila or Bitwala
- Seek out merchants that accept digital currencies directly or through providers like Bitpay, Coinbase and others
- For merchants who only accept regular currencies use Bitcoin Visa cards from Bitpay, Coinbase, Cryptopay, E-Coin
- If all else fails you can get currency through Bitcoin ATMs in most countries using the above Bitcoin Visa providers